The corpse of the mother of a priest of the Okigwe Catholic Diocese, Rev. Fr. Alex Onyemata narrowly escaped being burnt as the ambulance conveying it to the morgue burst into flames following a leaking fuel tank.
The incident, which happened few poles to the Mercy Mortuary, Umulogho Obowo, Imo State, saw the ambulance, a Toyota Sienna, completely burnt.
It was gathered that the ambulance which left the deceased’s compound at Dikenta, Avutu, Obowo with the corpse, about 2 pm and was gutted by fire along Owerri-Umuahia road last Saturday, January 11, 2020.
However, the corpse was rescued by her family members who were accompanied it to the mortuary before the fire totally engulfed the vehicle.
“The ambulance was on motion when the fire started from the fuel tank. On noticing it, the driver immediately parked and a crowd came to assist him with fire extinguishers, buckets of water mixed with detergent, buckets of sand and green leaves, but all to no avail.
“As the fire became more intense, the bereaved family forced open the ambulance’s boot and brought down the corpse on a stretcher before the vehicle exploded and was burnt to ashes.”